The Denver Housing Authority (DHA) is opening its 2014 Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 Lottery. They will be accepting online entries ONLY on Thursday, September 19, 2013 (beginning at 12:01 a.m.) through Friday, September 20, 2013 (ending at 12:00 midnight).
A link for more information: 2014 HCV -S8 Lottery Announcement 1st Notice 2014 Final doc
*A few important points:
1. Section 8 Housing is a remarkable opportunity if you need affordable housing. Rent is a percentage of your income – although you will need to qualify based on your income. Click here to see if you qualify.
2. Section 8 is different than Public Housing. Public Housing is generally project based – you have a couple choices and then you move into a pre-selected place. Section 8 is voucher based. You get a voucher from the Housing Authority and then take your voucher and lease up at a home or apartment in the community.
3. If you have applied in the past for Section 8 in Denver, you need to re-apply every year.
4. The Denver metro area has many different housing authorities. You apply to them separately. For example, if you have applied to the Englewood Housing Authority – they are separate than the Denver Housing Authority.
5. Housing Authorities are swamped. They typically only open their lotteries once a year for a very short time!
6. While this is an amazing opportunity - there will be thousands of people submitting their names for only a few vouchers. Definately submit your name – but I would caution against using this lottery as your “housing plan A.”
7. We will be posting reminders on facebook https://www.facebook.com/FatherEdJudyHouse and Twitter @FrEdJudyHouse
You are welcome to follow us if you can use a reminder!
~ Good luck and please pass this along to any of your friends or family who may need subsidized housing!